No, You Are Not a Cinephile (Movie Head) If You Haven't Seen Any of These



...So I was on a date recently with this nice "I too know it all" guy who talked endlessly. Anyways in order to make for a more interesting convo, he asked what I was into, I answered I loved movies and voila just like that; he said he was into movies too! If he had just stopped at that point, that would have been cool, but no Mr. Know it all decided to impress me with his movies skills especially when I said I loved the action-sci-fi-epic-adventure genres.

Long story short, crowning an evening of movie goofs was:"oooh I loved Tom Cruise in The Bourne Movies and Bruce Willis in Inglorious Basterds". I asked if he was sure about the said actors and movies and he answered: "of course I am. hehehe and you said you are into movies, haven't you seen The Bourne Triology and I.B (Inglorious Basterds)". He then proceeded to telling me about some movies which I am sure are yet to be released because they sure as heaven aren't The Bourne Movies or I.B either lol.

Just incase you are wondering these are the goofs
a. The Bourne Film Series has 4 movies to it so it is not a Trilogy
b. Matt Damon starred in the 1st 3 Bourne Movies and Jeremy Renner starred in the last film released last year...Not Tom Cruise
c. Inglorious Basterds starred Brad Pitt amongst other fine cast members. Nope, my daryln Bruce Willis did not star or even make a cameo in the movie. 


The intent of this post is not to ridicule my date, but to let y'all fine people know that you should not falsely rep yourself. I wonder what he would have said if I mentioned I was into action comics and animes?!

With the humility of a thorough bred naija lived gal, I'm going to sentence list some movies here. These movies are the movies I feel any one who calls his/herself a Cinephile must have seen. I have seen all the listed movies and more. The list is to help guide any naija person from knowing if you are a movie buff or not. No, no nollywood movies; no romance, horror or dry drama movies here.
So if you have seen at least 80% of the listed movies and more (which are not listed) then yes you surely can state you are into movies *grin*

PS: I didn't count the numbers of movies, I am just going to list as the flow comes to me. Also, this is not a list of must see movies, it is a list of movies I feel are so general (mainstream) that anyone who boasts of loving movies should have seen at least 80% of these....

Nino Charmaine's List of Movies every Cinephile Must Have Seen

"Casablanca, My Fair lady, Star Wars (both the old and newer versions), Saving Private Ryan, The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Armageddon, Schindler's List, Black Samurai, To kill a Mockingbird, Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, E.T - Extra Terrestrial, The God Father Trilogy, Die Hard (1-5), Forest Gump, Sound of Music, Inception, King Kong, Indiana Jones (especially raiders of the lost ark, Rocky Film Series, Dark Knight Trilogy, Million Dollars Baby, The Usual Suspects, Finding Nemo, Toy Story Trilogy, Equilibrium [Gun Kata (the only fight style I've wished was real so I could learn it) at its best, awww Christian Bale, sigh], The Bourne Movies (1-4), Inglorious Basterds, Bambi, The Departed, The Pianist, Alien, Terminator, Silence of the Lambs, Citizen Kane, Fifth Element, American History X, Pitch Perfect, Fast and Furious Films (1-6 especially fast 5), Brave Heart, The King's Speech, Gladiator, A few Dollars More, Memento, The Exorcist, Good Will Hunting, Avatar, 8th Mile, Missing in Action, The Sixth Sense, The Big Lebowski, I Robot, 40 Year Old Virgin, A fist full of Dollars, What Happens in Vegas, When in Rome, The Matrix Trilogy, Mean Girls, I am Legend, Top Squad, Seven Lucky Kids, Kick Boxer, Wreck-It-Ralph, Tower Heist, A Thousand Words, Scary Movie, Ted, American Pie, 1408, Avengers, Sin City, White Chicks, The Last House on the Left, King of the Kick Boxer, Final Destination, Bridget Jones Diary, Cast Away, Armour of God, The Hobbit, Gravity, Transformers, Bad Boys, Kill Bill, Training Day, 300, James Bond Film Series (at least 15 of all 23 of them), Happy Feet, Tangled (Well Basically all Walt Disney Princesses Films), Salt, Rambo Film Series, Iron Man, Dark Angel, Shooter, Mission Impossible Film series, Expendables (1 & 2), American Psycho, Transformers (1-3), The Myth, The Mummy (with Bredan Fraser and Rachael Weisz), White House Down, Rush Hour, Crouching Tiger Hidden Draggon, X-men film series (Although I prefer the animation)... Last but not the least... and this is a true test of if you really are; a movie buff or better still a Cinephile - The Lord of the Rings Trilogy {those who know me know that I'd have to be insane to leave this off my list. This film is consistent in all three movies and proved that it is possible to make sequels that would thrump the first movie. Most trilogies loose it at the second & third films but The LOTR went captivatingly more tantalising  especially with the third movie. I am looking forward to meeting a naija bred person who would upstage my super fan status of The LOTR (both the books and movies). For a book that was conclusively deemed unfilmable, I can gun duel anyone who says this isn't the greatest Trilogy ever - draws gun; anyone?}

I am an unapologetic movie head, movie buff, film freak, Cinephile etc. Infact I have only met a few people who have seen as many and even much more movies than I have and have met even fewer who share same movie eye as I do. The movies listed above flowed for the following reasons: badass-ness, music, cinematography, directing, camera angles, revolutionary stories/effects/characters, Music, Exceptional Acting etc.

Andy Chills beautifully sums it up about The LOTR when he said: "Peter Jackson had taken an unfilmable book, and turned into a cinematic masterpiece. This is the truest trilogy (me: ever made), as the story flows seamlessly from one movie to the next. Touching, awe inspiring and altogether badass and winner of 17 bloody Academy Awards, I/We (Andy and I) hereby declare The Lord of the Rings as the single greatest trilogy of all time" 


There goes my list. I sure would love to know what y'all think and which movies you feel I should add (surely this list isn't exhaustive and was written straight from the head).
Feel free to comment... I'm excitedly waiting...

Don't forget we celebrate your loved ones and clients with awesome, fun, jaw-dropping, sweet Serenades and Surprises. Contact us today 08181237262, ninocharmaine@gmail.com. #SerenadesRedefined

Comments

  1. My kind of gal. Seen 85% of the movies on that list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really Jason you have? cooooooool. We should go see the next awesome action epic adventure movie to be released this year together.... Yes jo I'm talking about The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug *big grin*. Gosh I love fellow movie heads. Muah.

      Delete
  2. lol cmon peeps, don't email me your comments, share em here so we all have fun discussing the list and your comments. Big thanks to everyone whoz taken out time to read up my blog and this post. Muah Muah Muah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment